This post contains all the information I have collected to date for Isaac J. Kanistanaux. I will update the page as new information is gathered, so bookmark this page and check back often.
Last updated on 24-Feb-2012
Isaac was born about 1837 in New York State. He is identified as “Indian” and as a “Doctor” in the 1880 Census. He appears to be Isaac J. Kindness, brother to Laton Kanistanaux and member of the Brothertown Tribe.
- c1837 – in New York State (1880 US Census).
- 1870 – resident of Rathbone, Steuben Co., NY as a 35 year old single white man in the household of his Indian brother, Laton (1870 US Census).
- 1870 to 1874 – Dr. Isaac Kiness & Dr. Lee-o-netto are married (1874 local news).
- 1874 – Isaac & Dr. Lee buy land and build a house in Stockton (1874 local news)
- fall 1874 – Isaac & Dr. Lee go to Canada on a visit (1874 local news)
- 1880 – resident of Addison, Steuben Co., NY as a single man age 43 living in the household of widow Julie French with whom he has no stated relationship. His occupation is Doctor (1880 US Census).
- 1875 to 1888 – Isaac & Dr. Lee-o-netto are divorced (she remarried).
- 1889 – presumed to be the Dr. Kanistanaux of Keeneyville, PA practicing medicine in Lindley, NY
- bef 1892 – presumed to be the Dr. Kanistanaux writing from Little Marsh, PA.
- 1895 – presumed to be the Dr. Kanistanaux listed at East Chatham, PA in a professional directory.
- 1899 – presumed to be the Dr. I.J. Kanistanaux listed as an Indian Doctor in the town directory for East Chatham, PA
- 1900 – not found in the U.S. Census.
- 1901 – presumed to the the Dr. Kanistanaux receiving public aid from Tioga County, PA.
Discussion & Notes
A letter written by Dr. Kanistanaux of East Chatham, PA in 1900 suggests that Kanistanaux is his “old Indian name” and that he was known by a different name before he started practicing medicine.
When Laton Kanistanaux filed his claims application in 1901, he listed an Isaac J. Kindness as his brother. At this time, I believe Isaac J. Kanistanaux is the same person as Isaac J. Kindness. The apparent marriage of Dr. I. J. Kiness to Leeonetto Kanistanaux before 1874 and the appearance of Isaac J. Kanistanaux in Laton’s 1870 household strengthens the evidence they are indeed the same man.
Sources & Documents
- 1870 Federal Census for Rathbone, Steuben Co., NY
- 1874 Local News
- 1880 Federal Census for Addison, NY
- Laton’s 1901 Application
- see also One More Dr. Kanistanaux
- Review & To-Do for Isaac
See the Kanistanaux Map at Google.
Do you have any information to add or questions?
Please leave a comment.
Copyright ©2011-2012 Ne-Do-Ba – All Rights Reserved