This post contains all the information I have collected to date for Eli Moulton. I will update the page as new information is gathered, so bookmark this page and check back often.
Eli was born about 1785 perhaps in Connecticut or Massachusetts. His parents are unknown at this time. He was married to a woman named Katie.He is the apparent father of Marleah Kanistanaux.
- c1785 – born in Connecticut (1875 NY State Census, Marleah’s Census of 1880 & 1900, Headstone).
- date unknown – married to Katie / Catherine (Laton’s 1901 Application, Headstone, Marleah’s Death Record).
- c1826 – a presumed daughter named Marleah was born in Canada (1875 NY State Census, Laton’s 1901 Application, Marleah’s Death Record).
- 1875 – resident of Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY as a widower in the household of Laton Kanistanaux. His occupation is “hunter”. (1875 NY State Census)
- 1-Oct-1876 – died in Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY (Headstone).
- 1-Oct-1875 – died in Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY (Cemetery Card)
Discussion & Notes
There is some question about the actual date of death for Eli. His head stone says the year was 1876, but the cemetery card for his plot suggests the year was 1875. His wife’s death date is also in question and off by one year in the same direction. The stone was obviously not carved until both had crossed over. It seems the person that ordered the stone did not provide accurate information or the stone carver made two errors on the same stone. It certainly is not uncommon for stone carvers to make errors, but two errors on the same stone seems odd. I wonder if the instructions said something like “she died the year before“. If the first event was misinterpreted then both events would be in error.
Sources & Documents
See the Kanistanaux Map at Google.
Do you have any information to add or questions?
Please leave a comment.
Copyright ©2011-2012 Ne-Do-Ba – All Rights Reserved